About this Course
Good ideas have a hard time of spreading in the world while stories are immemorial.
How can we use stories to spread our ideas in the digital era?
What makes an idea understood, remembered with a lasting impact? Those ideas require a story: creative, effective and value-driven. Without question, digital technology has changed the delivery of stories. Harnessing best practices and using technological tools is a powerful way of engaging and inspiring change.
Digital Storytelling for Social Impact is designed as a certificate course for social impact innovators. In this course, we don’t just tell you, we show you exactly how to build and share your story. Social sector organizations need to reach the right people, convey the right message, achieve the right results; telling one’s story is not enough. Learn about the advancements in digital technologies that can convert your audience to take action.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Build a good story, from proposal, storyboard to digital project
- Identify and align digital story messages to a primary audience
- Use simple editing tools and software to develop digital stories
- Incorporate branding into storytelling projects
- Analyze results to determine success
Weekly Lesson Topics
- Week 1: Introduction to storytelling & audience identification
- Week 2: Narrative strategy & story development
- Week 3: Digital marketing with social media
- Week 4: Steps to storyboard a video project
- Week 5: Tools & resource for creating a digital story
- Week 6: Measuring the impact of a digital story
Weekly & Major Assignments
- Weekly Discussions: Each week, students must read and watch primary source material. The faculty will be available to respond once a week to questions & assignments
- Weekly Learning Activity: Students will complete a proposal, storytelling plan, marketing plan, and storyboard for a digital story
- Major Assignment or Project: Students will complete a Storytelling Project utilizing all information and resources learned throughout the course. The Storytelling Project will encompass purpose, identification of key stakeholders, scope, resources, deliverables, Gantt chart and evaluation.
Who It's For
CLU Certificates were created for those in leadership positions, community organizers and for anyone with a passion for life-long learning. CLU’s online certificate programs offer timely information for collaborating with diverse people to impact meaningful change.
Journey with us on your own or access Group Sales for more information on learning for teams and organizations.
About Claremont Lincoln University
Claremont Lincoln University is an accredited, non-profit graduate university founded in the belief that education should help transform the world around us. Master's degree programs include Organizational Leadership, Healthcare Administration, Human Resources, Social Impact, Civic Engagement, Ethics, Higher Education, Sustainable Leadership, and more. We pride ourselves on our ability to offer a top quality education at an affordable tuition. Learn more about CLU and our Masters Degrees.
Instructor for Group/Facilitated Certificates
Self-paced courses do not use an instructor. Instructors are only available for group/facilitated certificate courses. Please contact us for more information, or if you have further questions.